Friday, October 3, 2008

93 chances to get it right

 

It turns out, lots and lots of burpees are an excellent opportunity to experiment with your photos. Today's workout finished up with 93 consecutive burpees. I had wandered over to the scattered kettlebells to try another still-life when Treefrog started doing her burpees. Originally, I had the idea to use a long exposure of the kettlebells with Treefrog in the background as a blur of motion. But when I lay down on the mats to get the angle just right, I realized I could use the kettlebell handle as a frame for Treefrog. It was tricky because I didn't have much of a time window when she would appear. I set the camera to manual focus because the auto wouldn't lock on fast enough. I tried to focus on one of her hands, which spent the most time in the frame, and every time she appeared I would snap a shot. Immediately, I would look at the preview, make a quick adjustment (ISO, focus, angle, or shutter speed), and then snap another shot when she appeared again. I may sound crazy for saying this, but thank goodness there were so many burpees today. I never would have gotten all the wrinkles ironed out in time if we had only done 20 or 30. I think I took about 40 shots in total - almost 1 shot every other burpee. Out of those 40, this was the only one that I was sorta happy with.

But when I got home and looked at the full size image, I was disappointed to see that her face was slightly out of focus. Damn! (That's what I get for focusing on her hand.) So I sharpened it in Picasa and applied a green filter using Picasa's Filtered B&W. I also debated cropping it to remove the extra space on the left, but when I did, I realized it removed the context of the kettlebell- it just looked like I had taken the picture through a paper towel roll. When it's off-center as it is above, I think it's easier to discern that we're looking through a kettlebell.

I wish I was faster with my adjustments. It took me at least 20 shots before I got the shutter speed and ISO set, and then another 10 or so to work on timing and composition. I also had a hard time finding the right distance from the kettlebell- too close and it wasn't obvious what we were looking through; too far and it didn't leave much space for Treefrog. To see a few of the other "almost" shots of Treefrog, and more pictures from today's WOD, check out Chewing Qat. I'll admit, I'm witholding a shot of one of our other athletes until I can process it a bit more, so stay tuned for that in the next day or so...

PS- A word on today's WOD. Today's workout was in honor of the brave men killed in the Battle of Mogadishu today back in '93 (hence the 93 burpees). You remember Black Hawk Down? That was it. I had a hard time getting through the burpees thanks to all the travel I've been doing lately and my slacking off. Porkbelly (dude, we've GOTTA get you a new name!) helped me through them by sharing stories about his old Company and his friends who perished that day, and reciting the Ranger's Creed. I listened while I cranked them out. Thanks, man, it gave me something to think about and got my mind off of the pain.

No comments: