Monday, October 20, 2008

It's in their blood

 
This is Johnny Curtis entering the cage.

He looks compelled to enter it, doesn't he? Like he's being drawn toward it. I think he is. The fence links from the cage are superimposed on him as he looks upward, just like that scene in Jurassic Park where the DNA sequences are projected onto the face of the velociraptor as it hunts the humans inside the visitor's center. In a way, the symbolism is the same: It's in their blood. And that's exactly the case in the world of MMA- this passion for hand-to-hand combat is in their blood. These guys want to be in that cage, they are compelled to be, no matter what.

I wish I had been clever enough to see the chain link shadows and recognized them as a neat photo opportunity, but the reality is I didn't even notice them until after I had taken the picture and saw the effect on several of my shots. This one came out the nicest, which is particularly satisfying because I know Johnny Curtis from my gym. I've actually photographed him a couple of times during practice sessions. Most of them were quite blurry because it was low light, he was moving too fast, and... ok, let's face it, I didn't know what I was doing. haha! So it's gratifying to finally have a nice shot of him at a real event.

Unfortunately, this particular night didn't work out as we had all hoped. Johnny tore his ACL in the middle of the fight, putting him at an extreme disadvantage. His opponent exploited Johnny's misfortune and that was that. Johnny was still kind enough to talk with me a few days later and respond to some of my questions- again, another fighter showing nothing but class.

I hope that his knee heals up real quick and that he can get back to pursuing his passion. After all, it's in his blood.

No comments: