Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Defeat

 
This is James "Binky" Jones after 3 rounds with Kyle Baker. Arguably the most exciting fight of the night, I remember trading looks of amazement with the other photographers at the end of each round; we just couldn't believe what we were watching.

Binky held out for 3 rounds where most men would have crumbled. Baker's kicks were devastating and the amount of punishment he meted out with those legs was almost obscene. Yet Binky held on, eating blow after blow. Front kicks, back kicks, roundhouse kicks.... he took them all. Not only did he take them, he kept going back for more. For three rounds.

When it was all over, the unanimous decision went to Baker.

I have dozens of shots of Kyle looking magnificently ripped, landing kicks and punches, executing a near perfect technical game. But this photo of a fallen Binky is my favorite from that fight. In fact, many of my most interesting shots from that night were of the defeated- the broken contenders trying to remain stoic and professional while fighting through humiliation and tears. I guess it's the sense of utter exhaustion conveyed in a photo like this that draws me in. No matter how epic the battle, a winner can always find a few ounces of energy left over to rejoice at their victory; but a loser has none left to tap. Such is defeat.

2 comments:

Moran Bentzur said...

I really like the MMA pictures. Definitely a step up in technique from the gym photos along with your excellent photographic eye (that was already there waiting for sharp focus).
Would this picture work even better rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise?

Dr. Error said...

bentzurm-

Thanks for the compliments! I'm still working on my focus (thanks to your gentle prodding) but I have to admit these MMA pics came out better than I had expected. There was just so much to photograph, from the fighters to their equipment, to the ring girls.... yes, there were ring girls and yes, I will post a pic shortly ;-)

I can't wait to do it again soon. I've put a couple machinations into effect that will *hopefully* let me turn this into a regular thing, fingers crossed. muahahahaha

You asked about rotating the picture: I think it might confuse some people if I rotated it as you suggest. Then it would seem as if he were lying prone on a chain link floor. The orientation in the image is true to life, that is the top of the photo is up; Binky is exhausted and holding himself up by gripping the cage.

But perhaps I cropped it too close to give viewers the proper context?