Thursday, October 23, 2008

The gloves do nothing

 
It is well known that the 4 oz gloves that MMA fighters wear are meant only to protect the fighter's own hands and not much else. By the looks of this picture, it's clear those gloves do nothing to soften the blows being dealt by Kris "Savage" McCray onto the near-prostrate Joey Kirwan.

Let me set the scene for you: This was the first fight of the night. It was also McCray's professional debut. In front of a hometown crowd. The house was jumping and when McCray submitted his opponent in under 2 minutes of the first round, I thought the roof was going to cave in. He completely dominated Kirwan, who just couldn't turn the tables.

I was struck by this moment when McCray had taken Kirwan's back and was starting to rain down hell with his fists. I remember seeing Kirwan's gloved hand desperately trying to protect his head, the word "COMBAT" emblazoned across the knuckles. It just seemed so incongruous to me, I focused on the glove instead of the fighter and snapped away.

After the fight was over, McCray rejoiced in his victory to a wild and adoring crowd while Kirwan fought back tears on the other side of the cage. I got that shot, too:
 
As the editor of my community newspaper told me, every photo should tell a story in itself. I think this one does, even if you didn't know what happened during the fight. It's obvious how it ended. The cameraman looking past Kirwan toward an unseen victor, and Kirwan's wavering lip, tell you all you need to know. I'm glad my camera was on him, even if the others weren't.

No comments: