Friday, October 10, 2008

Master class with Urijah Faber

 

Folks, my week just keeps getting better and better.

This is Urijah Faber- WEC Featherweight World Champion. I will leave you to google, wiki, etc his name and find out for yourself how big a deal he is in the world of MMA. His record is 21-1. Twenty-one to one. And tonight I got to photograph him giving a seminar to other MMA hopefuls.

Urijah is in town for the UWC event tomorrow night (see yesterday's post) and agreed to give a master class at my gym. Dave, our gym owner, invited me to take a few photos for their website and of course I jumped at the chance. I mean, how often do you get to photograph somebody you've seen on TV beating the crap out of an opponent again and again and again? (thank you Wreckcage..... yeah that's right. I'll say it. I watch Versus tv. What?)

I will say this: It was a REALLY challenging environment. We were in a larger gym space that I'd never been in before. The stark white walls bounced flash around like flubber, and every shot I took with the flash it came out with a nasty yellow tinge, even when I set the white balance manually. I shot at 1600 ISO with my 50mm lens set at f/2.0 for the vast majority of the seminar and didn't bother with the flash after the first 10 minutes. Focus was also a problem. With so little light, the lens took forever to focus, causing me to miss some of Urijah's movements (damn that dude is quick). Manual focus was not much more successful. Very few of my shots came out to my liking, but I did like that one.

I also liked this one because of its symmetry:
 
OK... time for bed. I've got a long day ahead of me tomorrow..........

No comments: