Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fight night!

 

Three days after UWC Confrontation and I am still on a high from sitting cage-side and photographing the event. I wanted so badly to post my pics from that night (all 500 of them... hahahaha) but had to show some restraint as I had promised several to the local newspaper that sponsored me that night, as well as some to a friend who has an MMA-themed website. Being a little fuzzy on the rules of copyright, I didn't want to post anything that might be used elsewhere.

Let me just say this: IT WAS AWESOME!!!!

When I got to the venue, the promoters met me at the Press entrance, showed me to the media room, and then walked me to my seat. I could barely believe it when I saw where I was sitting. It was too good to be true: a front row seat, so close I could press my nose up to the cage. Incredible.

One by one the other photographers showed up. Everybody was friendly. Keith Mills of Abu Dhabi news was there and showed me how to use a rolled up sweatshirt under my elbows to protect my arms from being shredded by the catwalk platform around the cage. (Keith actually uses plastic elbow pads himself.) Josh- a Marine based at Quantico who photographs for several MMA promoters, actually had the same camera body as me! That was an amazing boon as we compared settings and techniques and he showed me a thing or two about my own camera I never knew. And in another amazing coincidence, Josh's friend John turned out to be a gym-mate of mine from One Spirit. I didn't recognize him at first, but after we started talking I realized we had been sparring partners a few times.

When the fights started, I was blown away. Simply blown away. There is no describing how much better MMA is up close and personal. I'm not sure I will ever be able to enjoy a televised event again. Sitting inches away from the fighters, seeing all the little details that you miss when you're watching on TV, hearing the crack of fist on body like you've never heard it before...... it's incredible. I was out of breath after every single match.

I was also pleased as punch at how my little camera performed. I used my 50mm lens the whole time and it performed exactly as I had hoped. In fact, I was stunned at some of the shots I took. I convinced myself that the LCD screen was lying; that once I got the pictures home and saw them on a full screen I would be disappointed. And there were many many shots where that was the case. But there were also quite a few where I was pretty darn proud. To give credit where credit is due, though.... I have to say the Patriot Center has got some sweet lights. They kept the cage bright enough that I could get by with 800 ISO and still freeze the action with 1/125 shutter speeds and higher.

The photograph above is of Mike "The Hulk" Easton of Team Lloyd Irvin in Temple Hills, MD. Being so close to the cage door, I tried many times to get shots of the fighters going through their last checks by the officials before entering the cage, but each time I was frustrated because of all the people crowding the fighters. Finally I decided to change my tack. Instead of aiming for a headshot, I ducked low and took a photograph from the neck down, focusing on the gloves. I love how the shadow of the fence is projected against Easton's body. That effect came out in a few of my photographs, and each one is kinda cool.

I'll feature more photos from the fights as I have time, rather than posting them all in one album, so stay tuned!

No comments: