Monday, February 2, 2009

CrossFit Level I Cert - VA Beach

 

Just got back from Virginia Beach where I attended a Level I CrossFit certification course. It was.... humbling. I'm in awe of our instructors and their level of knowledge and fitness. They've given me something real and tangible to shoot for from here on out and I'm grateful for that. The course was made up of both lecture material and break out sessions, with plenty of time to practice the concepts we had just learned in the classroom. I got to try out equipment I had never seen before, and even started to develop the beginnings of a butterfly pull-up! Holy smokes, didn't see that one coming! Yes, I'm sore. Very very sore. And I did see spots after one of the workouts. But here's the thing- most of the stuff we did was all body-weight and PVC-pipe intensive. Very little time was spent carrying loads. And yet they still smoked us completely.

My one regret was that I didn't bring my DSLR. I felt naked the whole weekend without it. All I had on me was my little point and shoot, which I used to capture a bunch of images from the instructors' WOD on the second day. This is one of our instructors, Pat S., attacking a set of 15 push-jerks. Check out those shins! Reminds me of the day a guest athlete came to town and drew blood as well. You can't see it here, but Pat bears an uncanny resemblance to Ben Stiller (think Tropic Thunder, not Zoolander.)

Anyway, thank you everyone, instructors and fellow students alike for an amazing weekend! It was a wonderful learning experience and I can't wait to put all I've learned into practice. Now if only I could straighten my legs.......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You will make one great instructor! Thanks you for being there for us!