Monday, September 1, 2008

The meaning behind the whiteboard

 
Everybody in the CrossFit community knows about the whiteboard. Once you start your workout, the whiteboard contains your sole purpose for being alive. It dictates your every action. You are a voluntary slave to it, and it is an unforgiving task master.

So a CrossFitter can generally appreciate a picture like this one because we all know what it's like to crank out those reps in the shadow of the whiteboard. But this picture is slightly different: Treefrog knew the warrior this workout was named for. He was a friend of Brown's and he gave his life for his country.

So even though "Warriors Never Die" was one of the hardest workouts I've ever done, and it took the better part of an hour, and I barely had enough strength to lift my camera to take this picture, I'm so glad I did. Because it wasn't until after I snapped the shot and viewed it in the LCD that I realized how much more there was to this photograph than is apparent to the casual observer. This isn't just a picture of an athlete doing a workout in honor of a Hero; this is a picture of an athlete doing a workout in honor a friend.

No comments: