Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Atlas

 

Today was a day of exploration. I followed our athletes around taking a ton of shots from all different angles, looking down on them, looking up at them, running alongside them, etc. I had no clear image in my head of what I wanted so I just took the same shot from three or four different vantage points just to see what would develop.

I thought this one of Mark was nice because it was simple, clean, and fairly symmetrical. It reminded me of Atlas. Since my vantage point was down low, much of Mark's upper body was silhouetted against the sky, making for a nice clean background. I decided to crop out the parking lot and use the filtered black & white but I might have left it in color also... I guess it was just a matter of personal preference. Here's the original for comparison:
 

There were a few other shots that were interesting as well. You can see the rest at Playing with our balls!

3 comments:

Moran Bentzur said...

I like the atlas shot and the shot where you froze the ball in mid air while the hand gets blurred.
Do you shoot RAW files? I read on DPreview that the K10D is known to process "soft" pictures. Shooting RAW will also be more forgiving with exposure.

Dr. Error said...

Hi bentzurm,

In fact I did know that the K10D tends to process soft, but I never compared the jpeg against the RAW to see just how soft. Somehow I more inclined to attribute my soft pics to my own poor technique than to Pentax's ;) But I will do a test shoot the next time I get a chance by shooting in both. If the RAW is as soft as the jpeg, then we will know that I am the culprit. But if the RAW is in focus but the jpeg is not, then I will demand my money back from Pentax for all the shots I lost due to shoddy processing algorithms...

(...or not. Probably I'll just resort to shooting exclusively in RAW.) :P

Moran Bentzur said...

I would be surprised if the difference is going to be overwhelming. When reading DPreview.com reviews you have to keep in mind that these guys write pages about things you can only detect in a 1000% crop and only if you have an eagle's eyesight.
Still I would love to see the results from the test.
I must say that I saw some really cool features (RAW button, smarter shooting modes...) on this camera that are absent from the Nikon offerings.