Sunday, November 16, 2008

Congrats Aaron Riley

 

Last night was an exciting night for One Spirit Martial Arts. Our very own Aaron Riley appeared on the undercard of UFC 91 and scrapped with his opponent, Jorge Gurgel. It was an exciting match, with both fighters landing some good blows.... as well as some not-so-good blows (Nice groin kick, Aaron. *grin*) But in the end, Aaron's arm was raised thanks to a unanimous decision. Much to my glee, (as well as about 20 other OSMA diehards who had joined me at the local sports bar), they televised Aaron's fight after the Couture vs. Lesner title match. I thought Aaron looked great. He was quick, had excellent defense, and seemed cool and calm while Gurgel seemed frustrated. When they announced he won, we all went crazy, even though we already knew the outcome thanks to a txt message from one of our guys who was actually attending the fights.

It makes for a whole different experience when you actually know the guy on TV. I'm still not used to that. For instance... the above picture is from one of the very first CrossFit workouts we did in our gym back in June. Aaron Riley joined us that day as well as Reshad "The Show" Woods (now at Lloyd Irvin). This was the first time I had really met Aaron and he struck me as the nicest guy- very polite, soft-spoken, and courteous. I think I even toned down my own potty mouth so as not to offend him too much. We all did the workout and vanity requires me to mention that I -a 33 yo mother of two- kicked the asses of both of these Pro MMA fighters on this particular occasion. (Reshad bristles every time I bring it up, which is why I mention it every chance I get.)

And look at Aaron now. Here he is, our very own instructor on tv, tossing head kicks at his opponent and getting bonuses for delivering the "Fight of the Night." I know he's been there before and done this many many times, but for me, it's a first. I know a fighter in the UFC. We've worked out together. And he's a super nice guy. Way to go, Aaron! We're very proud of you.

PS- If we help you move next weekend, will you treat us all to a few cold ones with that sweet bonus you just won? hahaha

No comments: